Friday, June 09, 2006

In Veritate et Caritate

We are heirs of a glorious kingdom,
of treasures past ages have bestowed

Just returned from a 4 day 3 night Leadership Training Camp in CJ where I was helping to facilitate. This camp was organised to train the up and coming leaders - CCA heads, HTCs and the Student Council - and prepare them for their term of office. I was assigned 'Hotspot' (that's what they called themselves), 1 of the 3 SC groups in the camp. CJ's pretty generous...1 full day conducted by external trainers and another half a day at SAFRA Yishun. Pity it rained though because the activities that they were supposed to do were all challenging and fun. Another half day in and around Sembawang, Mr Isaac Lim is just amazing man; his activities, clues and stuff were just brilliant.

Of the truth, wisdom, love and peace,
we rejoice to proclaim and uphold

Times have changed, of course. LTC then was conducted very differently from LTC now. Different management, different approaches, different styles and different type of participants. There was more then once though, when my heart ached (literally and metaphorically), when I fumed, when I was agitated. The standard was just not there. Where was the urgency, where's the time management, where was the discipline?! It was tough trying to stay calm at times...it was really a mind game, I just had to talk to myself and convince myself that things are different now. Yet, is it so radically different? There are some qualities that are not just unique to leaders but to any human being in general. People should learn to face up to the consequences of their actions. 'Punishment' seems to be the road less taken in schools these days, some prefering to talk it through more than to force it down. But, will they learn?

Live in truth, live in faith and love

Whatever the case, I did enjoy the last few days. Interacting with them, sharing with them and being with them. Watching the J2 councillors and looking at the J1 elects, it really reminded me of my JC days. I don't think I loved CJ that much when I was studying that. The love and may I now add, passion, for CJ had grown overtime after I graduated. It was only towards the end of the camp, when time for me at least was ending, that I felt that pinch in my heart. Then did I realise how much I miss this place.

Let our light spread and brighten the night,
let our flame warm all hearts and unite

It was during the school anthem at the end of the prayer service, when I looked up at those bold, shining, gold letters that I was reminded once again how meaningful those words are. How if I could live my life according to that motto, my life would be made worthwhile. My time there might have past, many things might no longer be the same. But some things, they will never change.

In Veritate et Caritate
In Truth and in Love